Welcome to our maths skills feature, including school skills.
Try our Maths skills Quiz
1) Dylan needs to get part of his house painted. He has a budget of £200. He needs to buy 3 tins of paint, each costing £16.75. He employs a painter who is paid £12.30 per hour. How many full hours will the painter have to complete the work without going over Dylan’s budget?
2) Guttering costs £4.30 per metre. Martin bought 11 metres of guttering and 7 metres of downpipe. He paid £66.55 in total. How much does downpipe cost per metre?
3) A tracksuit normally cost £75. In a sale, the price was reduced by 15 per cent. Calculate the sale price of the tracksuit.
4) A girl collects the following data in metres in a science experiment.
0.32, 0.51, 0.43, 0.64, 0.39, 0.49, 0.62, 0.54, 0.52, 0.36, 0.54, 0.68, 0.48, 0.52, 0.60. She states: “The median is the one in the middle so my median is 0.54m.” Explain why she is not correct.
maths Quiz question 5)
The attendance for some classes is shown below. In Class A, 17 pupils out of 20 were present. In Class B, 21 pupils out of 24 were present. In Class C, 19 pupils out of 22 were present. Which class had the highest percentage of attendance?
6) A number, expressed as a product of its prime factors, is 22 × 3 × 52 (a)? What is the number?
7) Jane completes a 5km race in 24 minutes. Calculate her average speed in km/hr.
8) Last year a company made a profit of £152,650. This year the company made a profit of £104,760. Work out the percentage decrease in the company’s profit. Give your answer to 1 decimal place.
9) James can throw a javelin 49 metres. His target is to throw it 4 per cent further each year. If he stays on target, how many years will it be before he can throw the javelin 55 metres?
10) Calculate the surface area of a sphere with a diameter of 12cm.
Maths Quiz answers
- 12 hours
- The data is not in order
- Class B